The BeatGear Cavern

A Fab Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm
Hofner

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: What is the BGC?/Membership FAQ
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:43 pm 
BGC Administrator

This section supplements the more generic phpBB-related "FAQ" which may be accessed from the link at the top of the screen:

Q1. What is the Beatgear Cavern?

A1. The BGC is a free "members-only" message board where you'll find nearly 300,000 posts submitted by more than 1200 members from around the globe, pertaining for the most part to 1960s music; guitars; amplifiers; drums & other gear; pop culture; etc. -- not to mention The Beatles! Despite the emphasis on the aforementioned topics, the discussions are quite wide-ranging in content, and there's something of interest here for just about everybody . . .

Q2. Why don't I see many posts here?

A2. The main forums of the BGC (except for "Member Support") are hidden from non-members and new members whose accounts have not yet been activated by the Administrator. Registered members whose accounts have been activated may view and post to all the main forums.

Q3. What are the main forums?

A3. The current "member-only" forum lineup:

The Fab Forum - General discussion of all things Fab & Gear.

Expert-Texpert/Fixing a Hole - Ask the experts; projects, repairs & other tech stuff.

And Your Bird Can Sing - Chords, tabs, music analysis, etc.

Listen to Me - Music recordings submitted by our members.

The Marketplace - The place to buy, sell or trade your gear.

Dead Grotty - Off-topic or controversial topics not germane to the other forums. Viewer discretion is advised.

Q4. How do I become a member?

A4. Simply click on the "Register" link at the upper right of the Forums page and follow the instructions.

Q5. What happens after I register?

A5. Your submitted registration information will be reviewed by the site Administrator. Within a short time (usually well within 12 hours), you will receive an email from the Site Administrator asking you to reply (to verify the submitted email address) with your real name and, perhaps, additional information which may be necessary to verify your account information. When the Administrator receives your email reply, your account will be activated, at which time you will receive a second email indicating that you are able to view and post to the main BGC forums visible only to members.

Q6. Is my account information confidential?

A6. Yes. Your privacy is important to us, and your account information will be shared with no one without your consent, unless we are required by legal process or other extraordinary circumstances (See para. 9-A of the Member Agreement for details) to divulge it.

Q7. Can I register using a "free" email address?

A7. Yes. However, at the discretion of the Administrator, additional account verification information may be requested of those prospective members applying through free email accounts such as hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc., or through AOL.

Q8. What if I don't respond to the confirmation email you send me?

A8. Accounts not activated by reply to the Administrator's confirmation email within 72 hours of it being sent will be deleted.

Q9. Are there any posting rules?

A9. Yes. Before posting, please review the applicable rules HERE.

Q10. How do you play the intro chord to "A Hard Day's Night?"

A10. You'll have to register and search the archives to find out! ;-)

Q11. I have a question not listed here -- who can I ask?

A11. Feel free to contact me via the "email" button appearing below.

Q12. Why do you ask for my real name and address?

A12. Anyone wishing to join the BGC must, at a minimum, provide his or her name and address to the Site Administrator. This policy is non-negotiable.

Unlike many other message boards, the BGC is a members-only site where "trolling" and anonymous "drive-by" posting are not permitted. As the Administrator here, I make it my business to know who is using the site, and to have a reliable means of identifying any member should issues arise concerning compliance with the terms of the BGC Member Agreement.

As stated in the Member Agreement and email notifications to all prospective members, the requested information is confidential, used for the aforementioned account verification purposes only, and will not be disclosed to any third party (unless compelled by court order or other legal process).

Anyone with questions or concerns regarding this policy should feel free to contact me via the email link below.

(Rev. 06/10/07)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]